Our final novice introduction for the time being comes from Vinny…
- Name, Age and Province
My name is Vincent. Those who know me well call me Vinny. I am twenty-four years old, and I am a member of the Irish Province.
- What do you like most about life in the novitiate?
What I like most about life in the novitiate is the emphasis on the mutuality between prayer and work. Before entering the Society of Jesus, I tended to think that prayer and work were strictly separate; however, I now often find that the vitality and profundity of my encounter with Christ in my prayer life depends on my apostolic work and vice versa. For me, bringing together my apostolate at St. Chad’s Sanctuary on Thursday with community and personal prayer highlights the Jesuit charism of being “contemplatives in action”. Being a contemplative in action is something that I enjoy thoroughly.
- What is your favourite room or place in the Novitiate house?
My favourite room in the Novitiate house is the prayer room. It is there I am able to converse with God alone. The prayer room has been a good space for me to remove myself from distractions.
- How do you tend to spend your Villa Day (our free Saturdays)?
I like to spend my Villa Day exploring parts of Birmingham, watching movies, going to the art museum, and cooking for the community. I have Italian blood in me so naturally, I love to cook Italian food like Lasagne!
- Who in the novitiate makes you laugh the most?
- What is your favourite ‘indoor works’ task?
Cleaning the toilets because it is the fastest chore to complete.
- What was your favourite subject in school?
Philosophy and Theology were my favourite subjects in school.
- What was your first job?
My first job was working in Wendy’s, a fast food restaurant in the Bronx.
- How many languages do you speak?
I speak English, hablo Español, e il mio Italiano non è bene.
- Where is the most beautiful place you have visited?
I have been to many beautiful places in my life thus far, but it’s a toss-up between Cape Town, South Africa, Seville, Spain, and Florence, Italy.
- What is your favourite book and your favourite film?
I have a number of favourite books, but my all-time favorite one is Confessions by St. Augustine. My favorite film is Goodfellas.
- What is your favourite sport to play or watch?
Baseball. Especially the Bronx Bombers: The New York Yankees.
- Give us a favourite quote:
I have several favorite quotations, but one that is quite meaningful for me these days is the following by Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI from his message for the First National Day of Young Catholics to the Netherlands: “Take care to grow in the knowledge of the faith in order to be its authentic witnesses. Dedicate yourselves to understanding Catholic doctrine ever better: even if at times in looking at it with the eyes of the world it may seem a difficult message to accept, in it is the answer that satisfies your basic questions.”
- What is the best live music event you have been to?
A Goo Goo Dolls concert at my undergraduate alma mater Loyola University Maryland.
- If you could only eat one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Pasta con vongole.
- If you could witness any historical event what would it be?
If I could witness any historical event, I would like to witness the crucifixion of Our Lord because that moment is the most important moment of salvation history.
- If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
To read people’s minds.
- If you had a warning label, what would yours say?
“I am a loud person. Handle with care because I am a New Yorker with Italian/ Puerto Rican roots”.
- Who is the most intelligent person you know?
The most intelligent person that I know is a former professor and friend of mine.
- If you had to change your first name, what would you change it to?